Grouping, counting words and making wordclouds

library(tidytext)
library(wordcloud)
library(knitr)
library(kableExtra)

How to make wordclouds in R!

First, download stop words (such as and, the, of) to filter out of the dataset

data("stop_words")

Then we will will unnest tokens and count the occurences of each word in each decade.

tokens <- democracy_aid %>%
  select(description, year) %>% 
  mutate(decade = substr(year, 1, 3)) %>% 
  mutate(decade = paste0(decade, "0s")) %>% 
  group_by(decade) %>% 
  unnest_tokens(word, activity_description) %>% 
  count(word, sort = TRUE) %>% 
  ungroup() %>% 
  anti_join(stop_words) 

nums <- tokens %>% filter(str_detect(word, "^[0-9]")) %>% select(word) %>% unique()

tokens %<>%
  anti_join(nums, by = "word") 

And with the kable() function we can make a HTML table that I copy and paste to this blog. Below I rewrite the HTML to change the headings

tokens %>% 
    group_by(decade) %>% 
    top_n(n = 10,
          wt = n)  %>%
    arrange(decade, desc(n)) %>%
    arrange(desc(n)) %>%
    knitr::kable("html")
decade word n
2010s rights 4541
2010s local 3981
2010s youth 3778
2010s promote 3679
2010s democratic 3618
2010s public 3444
2010s national 3060
2010s political 3020
2010s human 3009
2010s organization 2711
2000s rights 2548
2000s human 1745
2000s local 1544
2000s conduct 1381
2000s political 1257
2000s training 1217
2000s promote 1142
2000s public 1121
2000s democratic 1071
2000s national 988

Create a vector of colors:

my_colors <- c("#0450b4", "#046dc8", "#1184a7","#15a2a2", "#6fb1a0", 
               "#b4418e", "#d94a8c", "#ea515f", "#fe7434", "#fea802")
Always Sunny Reaction GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
tokens %<>% 
  mutate(word = ifelse(grepl("democr", word), "democracy", 
                ifelse(grepl("politi", word), "politics", 
                ifelse(grepl("institut", word), "institution", 
                ifelse(grepl("govern", word), "government", 
                ifelse(grepl("organiz", word), "organization", 
                ifelse(grepl("elect", word), "election", word))))))) 

wordcloud(tokens$word, tokens$n, random.order = FALSE, max.words = 50, colors = my_colors)
2010s Decade Word Count
2010s rights 4541
2010s local 3981
2010s youth 3778
2010s promote 3679
2010s democratic 3618
2010s public 3444
2010s national 3060
2010s political 3020
2010s human 3009
2010s organization 2711
2000s Decade Word Count
2000s rights 2548
2000s human 1745
2000s local 1544
2000s conduct 1381
2000s political 1257
2000s training 1217
2000s promote 1142
2000s public 1121
2000s democratic 1071
2000s national 988

And if we compare civic versus politically-oriented aid, we can see that more money goes towards projects that have political or electoral aims rather than civic or civil society education goals

tokens %>% 
  group_by(year) %>% 
  top_n(n = 20,
        wt = n) %>% 
  mutate(word = case_when(word == "party" ~ "political",
                          word == "parties" ~ "political",
                          word == "election" ~ "political",
                          word == "electoral" ~ "political",
                          word == "civil" ~ "civic", 
                          word == "civic" ~ "civic",
                          word == "social" ~ "civic",
                          word == "education" ~ "civic",
                          word == "society" ~ "civic", 
                          TRUE ~ as.character(word))) %>% 
  filter(word == "political" | word == "civic") %>% 
  ggplot(aes(x = year, y = n, group = word)) + 
  geom_line(aes(color = word ), size = 2.5,alpha = 0.6)  +
  geom_point(aes(color = word ), fill = "white", 
             shape = 21, size = 3, stroke = 2) +
  bbplot::bbc_style() + 
  scale_x_discrete(limits = c(2001:2019)) +
  theme(axis.text.x= element_text(size = 15,
                                  angle = 45)) +
  scale_color_discrete(name = "Aid type", labels = c("Civic grants", "Political grants"))